Thursday, September 17, 2009

Yet Another Awful Health Care Story (From the USA!)


An Objectivist friend of mine in California has a disabled child and they got her an iBot wheelchair more than a year ago.  While watching So You Think You Can Dance the other night, I noticed one of the contestant's mother has one.  I told Santiago, my husband, about it, but couldn't find the demonstration video online anymore.  I sent my California  friend a message via Facebook to see if he had the link.


He told me, "Her wheelchair is the iBot 4000 Mobility System. You might be able to find it at http://www.facebook.com/l/22b4f;www.ibotnow.com but I'm not sure because they got discontinued.  (Don't get me started on why, but let's just say it's Atlas shrugging.)  You might poke around and look for videos on YouTube or elsewhere too."


After seeing the demonstration video myself more than a year ago and after hearing how wonderful this breakthrough medical technology been for my friend's daughter, it just makes me sick to my stomach that this wonderful device is no longer available to those who need it.  Thanks Big Government!  
From the last link: 
Because of certain FDA certifications / ratings relating to safety, we cannot sell and distribute the iBOT with a prescription and user training.  We really wish we could sell them to roboticists, but unfortunately, that would result in loosing the very costly certification.

1 comments:

Kelly Valenzuela said...

Ugh! That's awful! So Sophia doesn't have her iBot any longer?

Post a Comment